Friday, August 10, 2007

The Salt Mine

Although some people say that being a summer associate at a big law firm is the best job in America because you get paid to do nothing, I have actually been working. I have no idea if my experience is typical, but needless to say it was unexpected. It makes me curious. Did I just pick incorrectly, or are there other summer associates working long hours? In a strange way I am almost glad I have gotten a window into what my life will be like at a big firm. Let me just say, it isn't pretty. The worst is when you are stuck at your desk at some ungodly hour with the empty takeout box in the trash can and the computer screen staring back at you. You wish you were out with your friends for a drink or just at home relaxing. You wish you were anywhere but sitting in that chair mindlessly clicking through Westlaw, scouring the four corners of the universe for some random project that probably won't mean much in the scheme of things. I can definitely see why some lawyers hate their life.

1 comment:

Tom said...

I know the feeling...don't forget what it's like having your only human contact for a few hours be the cleaning staff, that's when I really start feeling like I shouldn't still be in the office

tom